Online clinic for a Chronic Amnesiac.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

I Believe in the BBC

There have been few movements in media history as important as the "I Believe in the BBC" campaign courtesy of Bloggerheads. Since the broadcast of "that" Today programme and the beating unleashed in the Hutton enquiry that followed, the future of the BBC nearly 12 months on, is still not cast in stone.

To be fair, I don't watch as much of Aunty Beeb as I did as a child, preferring the American imports that only Sky (and occasionally Channel 4) seem to be able too afford. However, when it comes to radio, the news, special interest shows and British comedy, only the Beeb consistently delivers.

Where would I be without 6 Music single handedly keeping the music scene alive? Who else has embraced the digital-age with dignity, educating us as we go. Who else constantly strives for unbiased journalism and news reporting that isn't geared around the next commercial break? Certainly not Sky or SkyNews, the Fox network, ITV, Virgin Radio...

For less than the cost of my monthly Pinot Grigio intake, I can be sure that when I switch on the TV or Radio, at some point in the near future, there will be something worth watching or listening to geared around my tastes, my lifestyle and my humour. And I know that I don't need to buy a packet of washing powder or endure yet another Blame Direct advertisement before I get there.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home