Online clinic for a Chronic Amnesiac.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Celluloid Memory Lapse

I've seen a few films since Christmas and I am worried that I am not going to be able to remember anything about them. It gets a bit annoying when agree to watch a film that you don't think you've seen and then discover halfway through that you have in fact seen it and oh, there you go, you've just realised that you know how it's all going to end. Grrr...

So in December, I watched House of Flying Daggers at the Broadway Cinema. I enjoyed the cinematography, choreography and costumes in similar vain to Croaching Tiger Hidden Dragon although I remember getting a little tired of the tooing and frowing between Mei, Jin and Leo towards the end. Incredible film though.

So far this January I have seen on DVD some real no-brainers and loved them all. Chronicles of Riddick featuring my celebrity mother, Judi Dench was a real surprise with some great one-liners from Vin Diesel. Despite the fact that I don't think it was filmed anywhere and relied heavily on CGI, it looked pretty real to me.

I had Saturday to myself and watched The Hours. This was a complex movie with much symbolism to watch out for (lots of breaking eggs into bowls, red artwork on walls and blue flowers - don't ask me what it means though). I very much related to the overall feeling of depression suffered by the women involved and their obligation to smile at all times. It was quite heavy going but worth the trip.

On Sunday Lando C and I ventured to the Showcase to see Team America: World Police. It's worth visiting the website for this movie, if not just the film itself. I also love the rating for this movie "Graphic, crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language; all with puppets." That is all I need to say.

And last night, to completely fulfill my need for dumbed-down movies, I watched Elf. I have a real soft spot for Christmas movies and this one did it all for me. I especially liked the beginning credits which replicate the artwork in 1950s' children's books wonderfully. It's going into my list of favourite Christmas movies including It's a Wonderful Life and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home