Online clinic for a Chronic Amnesiac.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Books of 2004


1. Where Did It All Go Right? - Andrew Collins
I enjoyed this book because it reminded me of my teenage times in Northamptonshire which unlike Andrew's, were not so tantrum free.


2. Heaven Knows I'm Misarable Now - Andrew Collins
The follow up to "Where Did It All Go Right?". Whilst I didn't identify as much with this book (seeing as I would have been about 10 years old during his University years), I often wondered if my brother went through anything like this during his 1980's University education. Oh dear.


3. A Short History Of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
This is a brilliant book for people like me who did reasonably well in the sciences at the time but now couldn't remember which end to plug the bunsen burner in.


4. The Lies & The Lying Liars Who Tell Them - Al Franken
Still in the middle of this. It's hilarious yet tragic as many of these anti-Republican affairs are. Come on Uncle Sam - DO SOMETHING!


5. Dude, Where's My Country? - Michael Moore
A great follow up to Stupid White Men that I read in 2003. In the middle of this one too. I guess with this guy, old Al up there, the terrible US elections result and Fahrenheit 9/11, it all becomes a bit too much to take in after a while.


6. Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
This book changed my life. I have not eaten at McDonald's, Burger King or KFC since the end of May 2004. I still nip into Subway though which is still bad apparently due to their unfair franchise agreements.


7. Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Lynne Truss
In the middle of this one too. Enjoyed the obsession of it all to start with, as I also believe in correct spelling and grammar where possible. However, this took it to another level and made me feel quite guilty for not quite remembering all that I'd learnt about grammer and punctuation in A-Level English Language. So sod it.


8. All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Coupland
So far so good. Another Coupland masterpiece.

Books to avoid:


1. Jim Giraffe - Darren King
This and Lynne Truss's book was all I took to Arizona with me. No wonder I spent more time reading my digital camera instruction book which was far more enjoyable than this. Firewood baby.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home