Online clinic for a Chronic Amnesiac.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Music to Warm the Cockles

Yesterday I finally got round to listening to Protest, the mini-album released by the Dears in 2003, that I downloaded from emusic about two months ago. It was nothing like I expected although it did remind me of Dazzle Ships for some reason. Maybe that's because it is a little bit bleak and cold with a maritime feel about it. Perfect for a British winter's day but don't let that put you off.

On a warmer note, Emusic keeps going from strength to strength. There is some real obscure stuff on there mainly US-based from independent labels which is worth giving a go. And then to reward you for being a little bit daring, you'll find some new release mainstream stuff like Nick Cave & the Bad Seed's Abattoir Blues. All for less than the cost of a CD a month (and that's US prices, not UK prices). I'm still trawling though heaps of Frank Black albums which I've not yet had time to give the attention that they deserve.

Emusic is also a great resource for back catalogues. I look forward to listening to my freshly downloaded Elliot Smith album. I wish they would remove the licensing restrictions that have been applied to some of the British releases though, such at Belle and Sebastian.

Ooo - Just found lots of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Warm those cockles because here comes the sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home